Our San Antonio pet resort near The Dominion is proud to offer the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) exam with our certified CGC evaluator, Susan Morilak, CPDT-KA.
What is the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) exam?
The CGC program was first established in 1989 by the American Kennel Club (AKC) to encourage the training of well-mannered dogs and promote responsible dog ownership. You and your dog will work together as a team to ultimately pass a test evaluating 10 essential skills. As outlined by AKC:
- Accepting a friendly stranger.
- Sitting politely for petting.
- Appearance and grooming.
- Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead).
- Walking through a crowd.
- Sit and down on command and staying in place.
- Coming when called.
- Reaction to another dog.
- Reaction to distraction.
- Supervised separation.
Upon successful completion of the skills exam, as a certified CGC evaluator, our trainer can officially certify your dog as a Canine Good Citizen!
How to take the CGC exam at Barkaritaville in San Antonio?
- Prerequisite courses: Levels Training 1 through Level 4 or equivalent obedience training upon evaluator’s approval.
- Our CGC exam is limited in size up to 6 dogs per exam.
What are the benefits of obtaining CGC certification?
- CGC builds a strong bond between you and your dog.
- Helps your dog know how to act in a crowd, at the vet, with strangers, or in other potentially tense situations.
- Some apartments and other property owners take CGC certification into consideration when approving tenants with dogs.
- CGC certification is often a prerequisite for therapy dog certification.
- AKC registered dogs passing the exam earns them a CGC title after their name.
When is the next CGC exam and how much does it cost?
To get the latest schedule and pricing information, please contact Susan directly at 210-405-0509 or firstname.lastname@example.org.